Cells have enjoyed for centuries of real fortunes , both economic , and artistic . The buildings facing the alleyways of the old town serbano the memory of the illustrious sons of this land. An interesting route lead to the Parish of St. Michael, " diamond set in a forest of olive trees ." In other Monday the tour will end at a pottery workshop , where the clay shapes come alive and dissolve quickly in the capable hands of the potter .
THE HISTORICAL CENTER
There is more to ogle owls in the arms of Celle Ligure. The ancient coat of arms , which drew the presence of "malo bird" by the shield of the ancient noble lords Malocelli , was abolished in 1910 ... maybe superstition. But Celle, beyond the restraint and discretion , it has enjoyed for centuries instead of true "fortune " , both economic and - thanks to the industriousness of sailors and traders - both artistic .
BUILDINGS OF THE CITY
The route , moving from eighteenth-century palace Ferri, the Town Hall , will lead to the end of Aicardi long way west of the historic center , with the group of houses considered among the oldest of Celle . Along the alley encounter buildings that hold the memory of some illustrious sons of our land : the general G. F. Pescetto , family Biale , Mayor M. Poggi , N. Aicardi , sculptor P. Costa ...
A square is dedicated to Pope Sixtus IV , whose name is inextricably linked to the Sistine Chapel in Rome. He was born in Pecorile , a hamlet of Celle, where his father , Leonardo Della Rovere , maybe he had fled to escape an outbreak of plague. But there is a tradition that makes it a cellasco doc : the son of a Richetti , was adopted by the illustrious family of Savona . This entry was witnessed by a manuscript was lost during the last war , in the fire of the library Berio in Genoa.
BETWEEN THE SEA AND INLAND .
Some buildings away Aicardi are joined by covered bridges , a perfect trait d'union between the row of houses at one time directly overlooking the beach and the mountain , overlooking the vegetable gardens . On a clear day the view takes in Corsica and the Tuscan archipelago : Elba just arrived in the seventeenth century . sailing ships that docked " au meu " ( pier , the area of the Piazza del Popolo) . Transporting iron disulfide , intended to achieve, on a mule , the ironworks of Redwing .
ANCIENT DEFENCE SYSTEMS
The watchtowers are located near the sea or on the mountains , they communicated signals at night by fire ( burning wet straw ) , and by day with the smoke. Even in the heart could soar towers and tower-houses . These are a cross between the post and the private residence : Celle is perhaps possible to recognize an example Frecceri palace , at the Town Hall .
If the defenses put in place did not get the desired results, the last resort was the refuge in the fortress-houses , solid construction with the corners of watchtowers for the guards . The house - fortress of Cassisi , which later became the home of peasants , was curiously called " Tower of Babel " , the chatter and clamor of the many sons of the factor.
FRUITS OF OUR LAND
Ben is different from the Liguria Riviera hinterland , reserved , quiet, almost secret , a land sung by great poets Montale , Sbarbaro , Cardarelli . Giovanni Boine stated that " our monuments are not in the streets of our cities, our bands are " many of them are populated by a sea of silvery olive trees, olive trees and even though mills were important to cells only since the eighteenth century . It it is calculated that in Western Liguria the length of the bands - the terracing centuries after centuries with dry stone walls - is equal to five times the Earth's circumference .
Prêuxe bands and tell us about the difficulty of obtaining cultivable areas in sloping areas avarice of Liguria (... and the proverbial thrift of Ligurian ) . The Statutes of Celle (1414) .
FISHING IN THE TIME OF OUR GRANDPARENTS
"The realization of fishing nets blooms with good earnings in Celle and is the work of women of all ages, " states the famous Napoleonic prefect of Statistics G. Chabrol , in 1830 he founded the Pilgrim Mezzano even a factory networks , a few decades later , boasted clients abroad.
Statistics always reminds us of some fishing methods once common : the skipjack consists of a long rope to which they are attached every meter of the lines with small fish and love. The pot is a wicker basket with an opening provided with conical tips so that fish can no longer go out : are at the bottom of the fish pieces and throw baskets in seaweed , to conceal the trap used to catch eels or fish that live in the sand. And yet seine , trammel nets , lampara ...
Curiosity and traditions ( The trouble together with the fishermen from ... moray eels and sharks ! ) . Ligurians of the past: the " pescelle ," elderly fish vendors with carts hawkers , N. Spotorno.
The use of the coral in manufacturing fashion jewelry , rings and bracelets lasted many centuries , determining the wealth of fishermen cellaschi more adept at finding the best schools up and down the Mediterranean. Coral was the necklace of Our Lady of the Rosary, in the Parish of St. Michael.
"A DIAMOND EMBEDDED IN A FOREST OF OLIVE TREES "
This famous definition of the Parish of St. Michael, coined by the French tribune Léon Gambetta, cellasco father's side ( birthplace in S. Antonio ) . But the link with the sea to emerge once again : the church stands the famous altarpiece of S. Michele ( 1535) by Perin del Vaga , a pupil of Raphael. Legend has it that Perin, caught by a furious storm during a trip to France , vowed to paint a picture depicting the patron saint of the country where he could moor : arrived in Celle. And ' singular as a small fishing village has been able to appreciate and commission a work to a painter working in cultural circles higher. Inside the church, among the great names of Genoese painting ( D. Piola , D. Fiasella ), here's a rare Crucifix (XV century ) with applied branches ( arbor vitae) . Century instead of the Nativity Antonio Brilla : the terracotta figurines playing with fresh scenes of everyday life : here a young man with a bag full of mushrooms, there another figure that carries the typical pots albissolesi.
The Oratorio And I CRISTEZANTI
Behind S. Michele is the ancient oratory of the Confraternity , preceded by a small garden , a kind of hortus conclusus that invites meditation . Here the brothers guard the crosses carried in procession by the dockers . Cultural index update of the brothers was the choice of Pasquale Navone as the author of Croficisso spirant (1767). Among the " boxes " carried on the shoulders by cristezanti , outstanding is the case in lime wood with S. Michael the Archangel (1694 ) by A. M. Maragliano.
THE MORE YEARS ' RECENT
The Railroad (1868) and the end of the coasting trade. In 1894 Celle looked shyly to tourism in that summer was recorded the arrival of 38 " bathers " . But the boom came with the new century in the '30s were as many as 11 bathing establishments. Cells was frequented by Luigi Einaudi, the future President of the Republic , and by the likes of Filippo Tommaso Marinetti.
The name of Celle is also closely linked to the world of bicycles. The establishment of the ' elm ' was founded in 1939 by Giuseppe Olmo, cyclist very popular in the '30s and '40s , brought two wins at the "Milano - S. Remo " , and in October 1938 , passing 45 km / h on the track, won the world speed record .
In St. Michael , there are two small eighteenth-century marble statues , survivors of the destruction of the chapel of Our Lady of the spreader : This church was gone along with other buildings and a portion of the same hill , on the morning of April 25, 1945 , to the explosion of the railway tunnel below .